Technical Support for Macintosh
Configuring Config PPP:
- Go to the Control Panels section under the Apple menu,
and select Config PPP. You will see a panel with ppp down
in the upper left corner with a couple of smiley faces that aren't smiling.
This is a key to telling if you are 'on-line' at any time. If they are
smiling! you are on.
- For Port Name:, select Modem Port
- For Idle Timeout (minutes):, select None. Our server
at FCI has a built in idle timeout so that you don't need to
set one for yourself.
- For Echo Interval (seconds):, select Off.
- The Terminal Window box should NOT be checked.
- The Hangup on Close box should be checked.
- The Quiet Mode box should be checked. This lets your Macintosh
connect up without having to prompt you that it is connected. If you wish
your Mac to prompt you when connected, simply uncheck this box.
- Click on the New... button.
- Type 'FCI' for the PPP server name.
- Click the Config... button.
- The Port Speed: depends on your modem. I suggest the following
- if you have a 9,600 baud modem, choose 19,200
- if you have a 14,400 baud modem, choose 38,400
- if you have a 28,800 baud modem, choose 57,600
- For Flow Control:, select CTS only if you have a 28,800
baud modem and CTS & RTS (DTR) if you have a 9,600 or a 14,400
- Select either tone dial or pulse dial, depending on what your phone
- In the Phone num field, enter our phone number: 345-1129
If you have call waiting, it will be necessary to disable the call wait
so as to not have you kicked off during transmission. To do this, add a
*70, before the number. So this would look like *70,345-1129.
- The Modem Init at this time, should be left blank. The Macintosh
is pretty good at choosing it's own initialization string for the modems
attached to it. If there is a problem with the negotiation, this is the
first place to start diagnosing the problem. The first thing we need to
do is load the factory defaults (which on most modems is AT&F1) and
then we need to turn hardware handshaking on. (To do this, review the modem
book and if you are having problems, contact Technical Support at FCI.)
- The Modem connect timeout should be set to 90 seconds.
- Click on the Authentication... button. Here we need to enter
your username and password. Remember that the username is in all lowercase
and that the password is CASE SENSITIVE. The Retries and
Timeout:____seconds can be left the way they are (at 10 and 3).
- Finally click the Done button. This should put you back in the
Config PPP window and then you can close Config PPP.
- And last but not least, (if you have already configured MacTCP)you
neet to RESTART your computer so it can load all the changes that
we made in the extentions and control panels. Then you are ready to connect